It’s always better to feed your kids Healthy Foods & homecooked meals rather than serving junk food or market-packed foods. We are all busy & packed in our own schedule of work that we continuously feed our kids takeout meals which may result in various problems later on.
It is never too late to try your hands on healthy & homecooked meals which will not only result in child’s growth & development but also help in maintaining a healthy weight, sharpen their minds, stabilize their minds and avoid a variety of health problems.
But we are often confused about what are those healthy options that we should opt for in our kid’s diet. Don’t worry we are here for you, read down below to have knowledge on what should be given to kids for a healthy & growing body.
The list of Healthy Foods for Kids are stated down below:
1. Healthy fruit salad for kids:
We always tend to confuse about what we should feed our children. Here’s a salad that is healthy & super fulfilling and will result in cutting down the craving for junk food.
This fruit salad recipe is served with a bunch of fruits like Apples, Bananas, Pears, diced peaches, strawberries, Apricots, grapes, oranges, blueberries along with fresh cream or can be customized according to your preferences or availability of seasonal fruits.
- Fresh fruits or seasonal fruits like (Apples, oranges, grapes, bananas, pears)
- Amul fresh cream or Whipped cream
Steps to make fruit salad:
- Dice the fruits in small portions or you can even use different molds or fruit cutters to make them attractive & fun for kids.
- Keep the fresh cream in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Take a serving bowl and start placing the fruits in layers one by one like 1 layer of diced fruits & another layer of fresh cream to 2-3 layers.
- You can even beat the fresh cream with the help of an electric hand mixer to give it a lift.
- Serve your child this super delicious way of fruit salad or you can even enjoy yourself or serve it to your guests.
Eggs can be used in many ways but here if we are feeding our kids we can simply just Boil them or make an omelet or simply Bread Omelette.
- Coriander leaves
Steps to make an Omelette:
- Firstly, break the egg and add onion, tomatoes, coriander leaves, salt & mix well.
2. Place a pan on the gas stove and let it heat, add butter & the mixed egg.
3. Let it cook for about 2 mins from one side & flip it over.
4. Place the bread & cook evenly applying butter from both sides.
5. Serve it with tomato ketchup, your kids will love it.
It is one of the basic & healthy options to choose from as it helps in building strong bones because of calcium & vitamin D in it. But, some parents struggle in feeding their kids as they do not like the taste of plain milk so you can try this Homemade flavored milk which can be easily prepared in our homes.
1. Dry fruits powder milk / Nuts powder milk which can be easily prepared by tossing dry fruits in a pan and making a fine powder out of it. Just add 1tbsp in 1 cup of milk.
2. Almond(Badam) powder/ Instant almond milk :
Make a fine powder of almond and simply add it to your kid’s glass of milk, just 1 tbsp.
3. Chocolate milk:
Healthy chocolate powder mix with cocoa powder & nut –
Chocolate milk powder is readily available at the stores but you can always make yourself at home with only a few ingredients and that will result in a child’s healthy mind & body as it’s homemade.
Recipe of Homemade Chocolate milk powder(with nuts):
- Cocoa powder- ⅓ cup
- Almonds- 10 pieces (skin peeled)
- Cashews- 10
- walnuts – 10
- Brown sugar/ jaggery- ⅔ cup
steps for Homemade Chocolate Milk Powder:
- Firstly soak almonds overnight and peel their skin or the other step is to blanch the almonds. Heat a pan and add water, let it come to a rolling boil, and add almonds to it. Let it boil for 2-3 mins, drain and wash with cold water & peel the skin.
2. Dry roast the peeled almonds and set them aside.
3. In the same ways roast the cashews & walnuts and let them cool.
Remember not to dry roast the nuts for a long time as it may leave oil.
4. Now cool down the nuts and blend in the mixer grinder. Add brown sugar or jaggery & blend all of them well.
5. Add cocoa powder and blend them for 10 seconds until everything is mixed well.
6. Final step is to sieve the powder using a sieve. Set aside the fine powder and collect the hard particles, blend again in the mixer & repeat the process.
7. You have your Healthy homemade chocolate mix powder which is ready to be served.
8. Just add 1bsp of this mix in one glass of hot milk and your kid is going to love it.
4. Cottage Cheese/ paneer:
Cottage cheese/Paneer is a fresh and creamy cheese that is super healthy and nutritious. It’s rich in protein and a good source of vitamin B12 and calcium. Vitamin B12 is important for the proper growth & brain development of children.
Cottage cheese/ Paneer can be eaten by itself it tastes delicious or can be served in many ways as we can make many things out of it.
3. Cottage cheese with fresh fruits
4. Sweet pancakes
5. Fresh fruits:
A piece of fruit is a healthy & convenient snack for kids.
Fruits like apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, pineapple, plums are good sources of fiber & nutrients like potassium, vitamin C, vitamin A.
6. Whole wheat banana cake:
Readymade market cakes are very high in sugar & unhealthy for children so why not bake a cake yourself at home as it is super healthy yet fun making it with your kids.
- Whole wheat flour- 1.5 cup
- Ripe bananas- 2
- Butter/oil- ⅔ cup
- Baking powder-1tsp
- Baking soda- ½ tsp
- Chopped nuts- ¼ cup
- Chocolate- ¼ cup
- Vanilla essence– 2-3 drops or avoid if you don’t have
- Sugar (white/brown)- ½ cup
1. Sieve all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Mash the bananas using a fork or make a paste in the mixer, add sugar as well.
3. Add butter or oil followed by vanilla essence, mix all using a hand whisk until everything combines well.
4. Once all the wet ingredients are mixed well, add the sieved dry ingredients and fold everything well. Add chopped nuts & chocolate and mix well. The batter should be a little thick not runny.
5. Grease a cake pan with butter or oil. Pour the mixture into a pan and place it in the preheated oven at 180° celsius for about 30 mins until the inserted knife or toothpick comes out clean.
6. The cake is ready to be served. Cut them into slices & serve.
7. Banana smoothie/ shake: A good source of healthy protein-packed in a glass that will keep you full.
- Milk- 1 glass
- Sugar / jaggery- 2tbsp
- Ice cubes- 2-3
1. It’s very simple just add all the ingredients in a jar and run it for few mins until everything gets mixed well.
2. Banana shake is ready to be served & its healthy meal for kids
Yogurt/Curd is an excellent choice of snack for kids because it’s a good source of protein & calcium. Calcium helps in developing bones.
Curd contains live bacteria which is good for the digestive system.
You can simply feed your kid yogurt/curd as it is by adding sugar or you can even add fresh fruits for the twist as they will love it too.
9. Chawal dal
It is an Indian meal and is loved by all the native people of India as it is simple yet fulfilling to eat & healthy foods for kids.
It’s very easy to prepare, it gets ready in under 15-20 mins. Let’s just quickly share the recipe with you guys.
- Preparation of rice:
- rice – 1 cup
- Water- 2 cups
Preparation of dal:
- Any dal of your availability(moong, arhar, chana) – ½ cup
- Water -1.5 cup
- salt – as per taste
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
1. Take a pan add water as measured and boil on the stove.
2. Let it come to a rolling boil then add the measured rice.
3. Cook for about 5-7 mins until the rice is cooked properly.
It can be cooked in the pressure cooker too which is also a quick way of preparing rice.
Take a pressure cooker add the rice and water together and keep it on the stove and let it come to 2 whistles & it is done.
Recipe for dal:
1. Take the measured amount of dal, water, salt & turmeric in a pressure cooker and let it come to 4 whistles.
2. Dal is ready.
3. Serve Chawal dal to your kid with a spoon of desi ghee.
Nuts are high in healthy fats, along with fiber & antioxidants. Dietary fat is important in the growth of children. See what your child loves having whether it be cashews, almonds, raisins, pistachios, or any other nuts available.